Newsletter - Year 1
Friday 26th June 2020
Well done for completing another fantastic week of online learning. Parents and Children you are both doing so well with completing your learning as we know, as parents ourselves, this can be difficult to balance. But we thank you all so much for working with us and helping your children to complete their daily learning.
This week in English we will be learning all about poetry. There are so many different types of poems (acrostic poems/ haiku poems/ limericks) Poems often rhyme. Over the weekend ask your parents/ grandparents/ aunties/ uncles if they know any poems that they could read to you. You can also look on the family page as Miss O'Callaghan often posts poems.
By the end of the week you will all be poets as we will be writing our own poems!
Next week in Maths, we will be learning all about money. We will learn about the value of different coins and notes. We will learn to add them together to make an amount and also compare those values to see which amount is more and which amount is less. May I please ask parents if they can get at least one coin and note of EACH denomination ready at home this weekend so that children can look at and hold real money. This will also help them with their maths learning next week.
It was great seeing all your fantastic writing and pictures you did about who is your neighbour and what makes a good neighbour. This week we are continuing our learning about neighbours and focusing on the story of the Good Samaritan where Jesus explains that people should love everyone including the people they don’t like.
For now continue to stay safe and take care
Year 1 Team
Please check Fronter (stmarysschools.itslearning.com) Family Room and Year 1 Classroom to find activities for your child to do online. If Fronter is slow running and you have used all the activities in your pack, the downloadable activities at the bottom of this blog may prove useful.
You may enjoy exploring these links, too.
Topmarks also is useful for interactive games.
Visit https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/ for the learning videos and activities
- As you will have heard all schools will be closed from Monday 23rd March. You will have received your home learning packs. Please ensure you do a little bit everyday with your child.
- Please continue to read with your children everyday for at least 10 minutes and enjoy sharing a bed time story together.
- You can look on our school website at https://www.stmaryscatholicprimaryschoolstrust.co.uk for any other ideas and activities to print off at home.
- Please remember that we have added some videos and some educational activities for you to use at home on the 'It's Learning' site. https://stmarysschools.itslearning.com/ Please use the username and password you were given to login in and have a look at our Year 1 Room.
- We will add new learning when necessary.
- AND - most importantly ensure you all stay healthy and safe. Keep washing your hands regularly and listen to any Government recommendations and advice.
Many thanks the Year 1 team